Communicating through books
Maybe it was because Mom and Dad were both librarians, but we all seem(ed) to communicate a lot through giving each other books (and movies and music) we cared about. Some of them only mean(t) something to two people, some mean(t) a lot to everyone. Maybe others can remember more than I do right now, and add to the list, but here are some (by no means all) I'm pretty sure one person introduced to another (I could be way off ):
Wes gave:
Marina gave:
Mom gave:
I gave:
And things that just happened:
Wes gave:
- A lot of music: Dave Clark Five, the Cream, Neil Young (and CSNY), Gerry & the Pacemakers,
- Three Men in a Boat
- Wodehouse (I think)
- O'Brian
- Jack Vance
- The Witches of Karres!!!
- The Russian film version of War & Peace
- Lovecraft, and Lovecraft, and then, of course, Lovecraft
- Joseph Conrad
- A. E. van Vogt
- Rumpole, for the Defense
- the OED
- The Tree Where Man Was Born
- Anna Karenina
- Miss Pickerell
- H.G. Wells
Marina gave:
- Camelot
- Man for All Seasons
- Sinister Seymour (Attack of the Mushroom People [and Pizza Fella], among others
- Khaled
- The Ghost & Mrs. Muir
- Bela Lugosi
- Beckett & A Lion in Winter?
- Shelley
Mom gave:
- Gone With the Wind, of course
- Shirley Jackson
- Andre Norton
- The Secret of the Ninth Planet & Raiders from the Rings
- Kristin Lavransdotter
- Jules Verne
I gave:
- Judge Dee
- The Worm Ouroboros (and Lord Gro, most of all)
- Gormenghast
- Nevermore
- The Last Unicorn
- Face in the Frost
- Kai-Lung
- Lin Carter
- Dunsany
- William Morris
- Precious Mbotswe
- Jonny Quest
- Avram Davidson
- Abercrombie, Benjamin and Christopher
Adventure (two brothers all over the world - Lion Adventure, Volcano Adventure, on and on and on) - Ballantine Adult Fantasy, in general
- William Hope Hodgson, esp House on the Borderland
And things that just happened:
- The Great Race
- Get Smart
- Maya (and the famous back half of an elephant)
- Lord of the Rings
- 2001
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home